Name derived from nearby old Fort
Gates; became county seat when Coryell County organized
in 1854. Among city parks, Faunt Le Roy Park along Leon
River offers picnicking, fitness course, and camping.
Local firm, Medical Plastics Lab, produces anatomically
correct human parts; tours are available. Chamber of
commerce in restored Cotton Belt depot has information
and historical exhibits at 2401 Texas 36 south.
Recalls history of cowboys and
Indians, outlaws and ranchers. Original bar, hundreds of
horns. Usually open Mon. - Fri., 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. On
Coryell County Courthouse
Constructed 1897 of hand-cut and
carved limestone, building is one of finest remaining
examples of Romanesque Renaissance Revival architecture
in Texas. Clock tower is copper-domed; elegant carved
wood and polished stone; rotunda skylight is Texas
Star-pattern art glass.
Coryell County Historical
Antiquities from the area's
churches, schools, and pioneer families. Ranch chuck
wagon that was in good enough condition to be borrowed
for Sesquicentennial Wagon Train. Unusual 1855
double-wall log jail has underground dungeon. Open Fri.,
Sun. 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.; Sat. 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. 199 N.