Established in 1881 as a stop on the Texas and Pacific Railroad,
Pecos gained early fame as a hangout for rowdy cowboys and fast-draw lawmen. Touted
as the "Home of the World's First Rodeo," Pecos was scene of a cowboy contest in
1883 that was a forerunner of today's popular sport. Today it is a hub of travel
both east-west and north-south as well as a commercial center for ranching,
irrigated farming, produce processing, and oil production. Pecos also has area
hunting for mule deer, javelina, and upland game birds. Visit the chamber of
commerce, 111 S. Cedar St. (US 285) for details.
Maxey Park & Zoo-
Among several species of animals are buffalo, Longhorns, deer,
javelina, mountain lions, and antelope. A picnic area, gazebo, and a botanical
garden with regional flowers and shrubs are found in the park area. Also, there is a
"kid's city" playground for children of all ages. Full facility campground
and RV park are west of the park. On I-20 access road between US 285 and Texas 17.
Grown in irrigated fields, luscious melon is the delight of gourmets
throughout the United States. Quality derives from a natural combination of alkali
soil, western sunlight and altitude. Pecos cantalopes enjoy comparable states with
Maine lobsters, French wines and Swiss cheeses. Harvested late July through Sept,
with a festival held in the late summer. For festival schedule, call 915/445-2406.
West-of-the-Pecos Museum and Park-
The museum occupies an old saloon and three floors of a historic
hotel, once the area's finest. See the restored ornate fixutres, accurate displays
of life in the late 1800's, and a site where two outlaws were gunned down by quick-draw
bartender, Barney Riggs. Fifty rooms of exhibits showcasing Pecos and West Texas
history. Information on other Pecos attractions. Open Mon - Sat. 9am -
5pm; Sundays 2 - 5pm. (6pm daily in the summer). 120 E. First St.
Adjacent park contains the first building in Pecos, grave of Clay
Allision, "Gentleman Gunfighter," and a replica of Judge Roy Bean's saloon.
Park also features an Eclipse windmill and offices of the tourist center and
chamber of commerce.