rural homesteads in the 1840s; town laid out by Scott McKinney in 1853. Named for
railroad stockholder Mrs. Marie Van Alstyne, when town was made a stop on the line. Just off U.S. 75 between Dallas and
Van Alstyne Museum -
Features old horse-drawn buggy, c. 1880s; historical material
from families of the area; equipment used by early undertakers, old caskets, grave liners,
and cooling boards. Located at 216 East Jefferson in downtown Van Alstyne. Hours
House shown at left is a private residence.