HALLETTSVILLE Population- 2,781 Altitude- 232


Hallettsville, Texas is a predominantly German and Czech community which was founded in 1838.

Its unusual name stems from Mrs. John Hallet who generously donated her valuable land to the people for future use of the townsite.

Ripley's Believe It or Not! once called Hallettsville the "13 City": Because (amazingly and quite coincidentally enough)-- in 1913 it had 13 letters in the name, a population of 1300 , 13 churches, 13 newspapers, and even 13 saloons !!!

This little city has been the Lavaca County seat since 1852.

It is located on the Lavaca River; and is at an exact equal distance from Houston and San Antonio. City's community park includes a golf course, a playground, and a campground with RV hookups. The Texas State Championship High School Rodeo was established here in 1947. During the appropriate seasons hunters may find abundant :

deer, dove, turkey and wild hogs

Lavaca County Courthouse-

Construction began in 1897 and was completed in 1899. The architect, Eugene T. Heiner, designed it after the Allegheny County Courthouse in Pittsburgh, PA. Visitors see original tile floor, artwork on vault doors, and the magnificent grand staircase. Building was entered on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.

Lavaca Historical Museum-

Historical artifacts, photos, household furnishings focusing on county and area history; Old -Timers Baseball Hall of Fame. includes restored carriage house and outhouse. Open Sat. - Sun., 2 - 5 p.m. 413 N. Main.

Lay-Bozka House-

Built in 1878 though 1882 at a cost of $4,750.00 for Confederate veteran Dr. James Lay. This magnificent house has native stone walls 18 to 24 inches thick! Unusual patterned mansard roof and rope molding. Drive-by viewing only. On U.S. 90A in city.

Texas Championship Domino Hall of Fame-

Pictures, plaques, and stories of outstanding players; life history of dominoes. Tournament in January. Open Mon. - Fri., 9 - 11 a.m. Knights of Columbus Hall, U.S. 77 South.

Texas Fiddlers Hall of Fame-

Memorabilia honoring Texas fiddlers; annual induction held in conjunction with Texas State Fiddlers Frolics, fourth weekend in April. Open Mon. - Fri., 9 a.m. - 11 a.m. Knights of Columbus Hall, U.S. 77 South.



Back to the top